About Me

My Photo
Hull, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Sunday 28 August 2011

Less is More wk 30...Take 3 challenges

Good afternoon all!

Can I firstly welcome my new followers. It`s always lovely to know that you think my little corner of cyber space is worth a peek at.
Secondly could I say a massive thank you to all of you that left massages of support and sent cyber hugs after my little outburst last week. Although my situation hasn`t changed, I heard something the other day that put all of my problems into perspective and after giving myself a stern talking to I`ve realised that things could be an awful lot worse and I`m feeling a lot more positive now. Those hugs were lovely, thank you.

Right, this week at Less is More we are to combine 3 of the last 29 challenges. Easy peasy and spoilt for choice, thank you Chrissie and Mandi.

For my card I`ve gone for, wk 9, A Touch of Red,
wk 13, Thank You or Congratulations and wk 15, Embossing.
I started with a 5x5 white card base.
I wanted a strip of embossed card but I also wanted to put an edge around it to give it a more finished look but I don`t have long rectangular dies. So, I used a short die and a longer piece of card, placed it into the cuttlebug but instead of rolling all the way through, I stopped just short of the end. I then moved the die along the card to the length I wanted, keeping it in line with the cut I already had, turned it around, and rolled again almost to the end. This gave me the correct size panel. I then placed the panel into the Damask EF  from Crafts Too and embossed the whole thing. I returned the panel to the original die and went around the edge with a ball tool, moving the die down the panel until the whole thing had an edge. My instructions are a bit garbled but I hope you understand what I have done and I`m pleased with the result.
Next was the frame. I ran a small piece of scrap card through the Bug with the Swiss Dots EF, Then placed a nestie labels 4 die with a nestie oval die inside and made the frame. Once again, with the die still in place, I ran around the edge with a ball tool. The sentiment  by Rubbadubbado, was stamped in clear embossing ink and detail silver EP, cut out with a labels 4 die but trimed slightly smaller than the frame.
I made a rolled rose using a Marianne designs Rose Die. I find that these are better if made using paper rather than card but I didn`t have any red paper. So I cut a piece of red card large enough so the die would fit and ran the card through my ribbler ( one of those thingys that makes corrugated card) about 10 times to soften it then scrunched it up a few times in my hands. This breaks down the fibres and also makes the card seperate. I then seperated it into 3 sheets and used one of them to make the rose.
I punched a butterfly with a Martha Stewart punch out of a piece of the swiss Dots embossed card and added some red gem stones to finish.
It probably took longer to write this post than it did to do all the techniquey bits, they are not at all as complicated as they sound.
Edited to add- Chrissie has a tutorial for lengthening die cuts Here much easier to follow than mine lol.

Thanks for popping in...Lynne xxx

40 comments:

  1. VERY VERY pretty Lynne.

    So pleased you've managed to feel more positive in the face of adversity.

    Hugs, Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card and thanks for the tip on using a ball tool for the edge will be giving that a go!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow this card is really stunning I love white on white and the splash of red looks amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely Lynne. Love the framed sentiment and the little red flower. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous card, lynne!! love the pop of red from the flower and the embossing is superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FABULOUS card and I love the touch of red

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card Lynne, that frame looks fabulous
    Love the touch of red of the rose too
    Wonderful!
    Glad you are feeling bettet , a reality check does us all good from time to time, Always someone worse off, sadly! Havign said that problems are problems and real, they will of coruse get you down.

    Thank you very much
    Mandi Diva LIM
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use this method of altering dies so often...dies are frequently either too long or too short and they can so easily be altered.
    I did a tutorial here to lengthen a die and there's a tutorial on the LIM blog for reducing them.
    Your card is beautiful and I love all the embossing and the touch of red is perfect!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card Lynne; love the embossing and the way you've made the frame. So elegant! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful card Lynne
    Margaret x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely card - congratulations also on your 'nations flag' card being spotlighted - in answer to your question I've just returned from Zakynthos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful card, love the embossed frame and the damask panel, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lyn
    Sorry to hear you have been under the weather ....your cards are all so Fab....stunning
    hugs sylvie
    xxx
    Keep well

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hiya hunni
    I know things havent got any better hunni but Im glad you are feeling a little better in yourself..hope that makes sense!!

    As for your card hunni..its amazing, i just love everything about your cards..such a talented & inspirational lady :D
    hugs and xxx
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lynne - so pleased you are feeling much more positive now, and I hope you have a happy week. Your card is stunning and so classy. Love the embossing and the touch of red.
    Hugs, Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful! And haven't you worked hard on this one, it definitely shows, the outcome is beautiful :)

    Chin up chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very stylish card and the little touch of red makes a real pop! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an elegant card, Lynne! Glad to hear that you're feeling some better...one day at a time...that all any of us can do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an elegant card, love that splash of red. Glad you are feeling better about life, keep smiling and keep the beggars guessing!
    Anne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is stunning, I love it. xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. A wonderful CAS card, the embossing looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous card Lynne. Love the white embossing and perfect splash of red :o) Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, love the bit of red too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Graet choice of challenges Lynn and a beautiful card :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another brill card - it could be colours of your flag week again too.
    I love the embossed panel - the edging really finishes it off beautifully.
    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stunningly beautiful card, Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning card Lynne, love the embossing.
    Diane x

    ReplyDelete
  29. A stunning card, love that splash of red. I have tried lengthening dies - just can't do it!
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  30. So elegant, love the red rose! Thanks too for the tip on lengthening dies - I hadn't thought of that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is gorgeous Lynne, that touch of red just pops the card. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  32. How elegant! I love the white on white with the red rhinestones and flower! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. fantastic creation!!

    elborgi

    ReplyDelete
  34. Glad you've picked up a bit Lynne - I love this card - everything about it is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Lynne!! This is beautiful!!! What an elegant card...love the embossing and the framing of your sentiment(I was thinking it could be a frame for a picture:)!!). Thanks for sharing how you did it, and for the link to Chrissie's site...I looked it up, never knew you could do that...thanks SO much for sharing the how to's!!:) The pop of red is stunning, too:)!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Stunning card, love your sentiment frame, brilliant idea, thanks for sharing how you did it. The touch of red is just perfect.
    Avril

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a fab card again Lynne, love it :O) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, they mean a lot.